Conway Daily Sun
By Michael Kline
Lately, I’ve been blending practical business thoughts with more
of my touch-feely, woo-woo ideas on happiness, goals and relationships. In truth, you already know if we separate business topics from psychology for very long, we are only kidding ourselves. Every aspect of business management is riddled with deep psychological issues. Consider hiring and leading people, or trying to know what really drives our customers’ decisions to buy from you. Do I really need to bring up the fear that keeps you from being super-successful?! Okay, so I hope you agree to indulge me a little more on my quest to identify the convergence of small business and personal success.
How happy are you? It turns out, you can scientifically measure happiness. You might find it interesting to know how your own happiness in life compares to your peer group. Over two million people have participated in online
research surveys that help you measure your happiness, as well as other valuable self-discovery metrics like identifying your top character strengths. The results are scientific, fun, interesting and invaluable when you’re working on personal or business matters such as goal setting. Recently, I took several tests designed to measure my level of happiness and satisfaction in life. I was happy to learn that I am happier than 97% of participants. My “happy index” was even slightly higher compared to most men and most people living in my area. Of course, I’m dying to meet the other 3%. I want to know what they’re doing and how to do it!
The tests are part of Dr. Martin Seligman’s research, Director of the Positive Psychology Center at the University of Pennsylvania and founder of positive psychology. Visit www.authentichappiness.com.
Let’s get back to business. My partner Sal and I operate four businesses in very small market. We suffered from the recession, lost leases, had unexpected turnover, lost suppliers, had malls go empty on us, dealt with mean neighbors, nasty landlords, etc. I’m still happy, so either I’m either the village idiot, or I’m on to something really awesome! I vote the awesome thing. So, what awesomeness do you want to get from your business?
“You don’t get in life what you want; you get in life what you are” says Darren Hardy, publisher of Success Magazine. Having completed a great deal of research on goal-setting, in preparation for a new seminar I will be offering soon, I can tell you that this quote is supported by most of the wisdom available from experts be they modern, ancient, scientific or mystic. To create success at anything requires more than wishes and goals. It
requires more than being in the right place at the right time. It requires being the right person (in the right place at the right time), doing the rights things, in the right way. That’s simply a lot to ask, and frankly, it is more than most people are willing to figure out and execute.
The experts also agree that before you do anything, you need to know yourself. Go to the authentic happiness website and take the VIA Survey of Character Strengths – you will need about 10-20 minutes of quiet time, and you
will instantly know your top 24 character strengths. The good news is you have no weaknesses; only areas that have more strength than others. That’s your homework for this week. After you do that, we’ll talk about incorporating your
strengths into your business to create more success.
Michael Kline is a local retailer, success coach and trainer. He may be reached through his website, www.klineseminars.com, or e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.